Old 29-01-2007, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Would anyone care to remind us idiots, when to plant seeds?

On Jan 29, 12:55�pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Nick Maclaren" *wrote after

"Alan Holmes" *writes:

| I never know when to start planting things and I'm sure there must be
others
| who would also welcome a reminder of what to sow, and when.

[...]

Books and seed packets are usually good guides -- often better than
other gardeners, whose conditions may vary widely.

Normal humans ignore the following, which is OT and for language
anoraks only:
I tend to use "sow" for seeds and "plant" for plants; with an
inconsistent preference for "set" for non-seed propagating material
(bulbs, cuttings, etc). Just had a look in the Dictionary, and the
earliest example Oxford has of "plant" for seed comes from 1615, while
its use for trees etc is recorded back to the ninth century.

--
Mike.