Old 04-02-2007, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert[_2_] Robert[_2_] is offline

Default Grow your own veg!

"Mel" wrote in message
: "Janet Tweedy" wrote
:
: There is a programme currently on TV about growing your own veg .
:
: Do you really think that programme is any good Alan, I found it silly
and
: frivolous. Didn't show putting up bean supports or pea supports. Not at
: all what I was expecting ...........
:
: I agree. I was extremely disappointed because the programme taught me
: nothing. I want to see a normal (non-celebrity), but experienced person
: tackling an abandoned council allotment from scratch, and follow them
: in-depth throughout the growing year. I want to see digging, tilling,
: sowing, planting, putting up supports, shovelling manure, making compost
: heaps, fighting potato blight and carrot flies. I don't want to see fancy
: camera angles or the family pussy cat. I don't want the person to have a
: team of volunteer diggers from the local horticultural college. I don't
: want the person to have bucket-loads of money to buy lovely paths and
raised
: beds. I want the person to use stuff raided from skips, second-hand
: barrels, and old bits of wood. Basically, I want to see a real person on
: real allotment doing real things.
:
:You want to look out for a repeat of the 'Big Dig' that was a proper
gardening programme
: