Old 04-02-2007, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
80/20 80/20 is offline

Default Grow your own veg!

On 4 Feb, 10:25, "JennyC" wrote:
"Mel" wrote in message

"Janet Tweedy" wrote

There is a programme currently on TV about growing your own veg .

Do you really think that programme is any good Alan, I found it silly and
frivolous. Didn't show putting up bean supports or pea supports. Not at
all what I was expecting ...........

I agree. I was extremely disappointed because the programme taught me
nothing. I want to see a normal (non-celebrity), but experienced person
tackling an abandoned council allotment from scratch, and follow them
in-depth throughout the growing year. I want to see digging, tilling,
sowing, planting, putting up supports, shovelling manure, making compost
heaps, fighting potato blight and carrot flies. I don't want to see fancy
camera angles or the family pussy cat. I don't want the person to have a
team of volunteer diggers from the local horticultural college. I don't
want the person to have bucket-loads of money to buy lovely paths and
raised beds. I want the person to use stuff raided from skips,
second-hand barrels, and old bits of wood. Basically, I want to see a
real person on a real allotment doing real things.

Bring back Bob Flowerdew ??
Jenny "~)- Hide quoted text -

They could do worse than re-editing some of Geoff Hamilton's pieces
and make those into half hour programs.
Steve