Old 03-02-2007, 05:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
unknown[_1_] unknown[_1_] is offline

Default semi hydro question (phal) - attached files (1/1)

In article ,
"Bob Walsh" wrote:

You didn't mention so I'll ask, did you put a drain hole in the yogurt cup
about an inch up from the bottom?

Bob

yes, i punched three holes in a row about 3/4's of an inch above the
bottom of the cup; used an icepick, so they're very small holes. (did
the same thing with an african violet baby just for the hell of it; same
size yogurt cup; the A/V is growing madly.)

now, i also bought a gorgeous phal already in s/h a few months ago at
HD; it was in one of those pots that looks like an aircone with lots of
slits, and sits inside another plastic pot, and has a little water
gauge...? i noticed its leaves were looking limp, so i just pulled it
out--and 3/4's of the roots came off. just plain old root rot. so it's
sitting in h2o2 at the moment and i'll pot it up in sphag and hope it
makes a recovery.

as for the baby phal that was in the pictures--it's lost that single
root. -sigh-. and i just happen to have a bottle of KLN from my s/h
starter kit--think i should do a drench to encourage a new root...?

TIA for the wisdom of the group....

--j_a