Old 04-02-2007, 07:42 PM
dianan dianan is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria View Post
I am looking for some help with my roses. Some of them don't bloom. I
did cut them down to one foot in fall, is that a mistake? I have some
for year and two. Also, Japanese beetles are eating leaves and flower
buds even before they get to open. I sprayed it with Bug and gone two
weeks ago, but they are back. Any idea if I can spray again? How many
times I can spray them without damaging the plants? I am in Chicago,
IL. Thanks for any information.
Hi. Just joined this forum, so you may have found a solution already to your problem. I'm in the west of England and had the same problem with Japanese beetles last summer (also called Garden Chafers here). There is a new product, a nematode, which you water into the ground surrounding the rose/s in September. The nematode attacks the beetle lavae, so they don't hatch next year. I buy these on the net from a uk website, but, of course, they can't be exported to US as they're live! See if you can find them on a US website. Good luck! diana