Old 25-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default Double Delight and Miniatures

I was called out of town very suddenly to deal with a family emergency.
Of course, this happens the morning I was planning on planting my new
bare root Double Delight since it had been soaking for about 36 hours.
Knowing I had no idea when I was going to be back, I had to ask the s.o.
to plant it for me. The s.o. who is not a gardener, the s.o. who kills
plants.... Much to my surprise, DD is exactly where I wanted her (I was
very specific about it but one never knows) and has broken dormancy big
time.

It was really neat coming home after being ogne for 11 days to see the
changes in my garden. I tend to take a stroll through in the morning
when I'm drinking my coffee before I go into the office and when I get
home from the office in the evening. Big difference between my constant
"anxious mommy" surveillance and the 11 day break. Only thing I really
missed was my crocuses at their peak. *sigh* However, the hyacinth are
now blooming and I have one tulip that looks like it may open in the
next couple of days. *smile*

All my roses are leafing out beautifully. Big difference a year of
constant attention and nurturing makes in their condition to when we
first bought the house. I've already started taking pictures as I am
determined to identify (and tag *grin*) the mystery roses this year.

Of course, now I'm focusing once again on the four bare spots in my
front bed that edges the walkway to the house. Last year I took out the
azaleas and put in zinnias. This year, I'm really thinking about
putting in some miniature roses. Saki's recommendation of Scentsational
has got it a spot on my list. I would prefer mauve and yellow roses in
those spots. Any suggestions on scented miniatures aside for
Scentsational? I guess I'm really not just thinking about it, am I?
*grin* Sounds more like planning to me now that I read what I have written!

Susan - who has learned the hard way to never to leave home without a
laptop......
s h simko at duke dot edu