Old 08-02-2007, 08:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dean Dean is offline

Default I need new lawn help.

On Feb 5, 2:47 pm, "nightrider.36" wrote:
Hello everyone!

I've never planted a lawn before and I'm getting overwhelmed at the
information at Home Depot's books and online. I have questions that I
need answered before I get started. I don't have a big budget, I
don't have time, I don't want to do it and I want to make my wife
happy so please help me! I need to lay this out and maybe seed it in
a weekend--maybe two--SOON!

I have to install two 15' x 15' raised lawn beds in my front yard.
Because I don't want to deal with weeds or grading, I'm just going to
install the boxes avove the ground, thrown some plastic on the base
and level the borders and the soil. them--there, instant level grade!
They'll be bordered by landscaping timbers or RR ties. Like this...

+---------------+ +------------------+
| | rocks | |
| grass | | more | :-) --happy wife!!
| | | grass
| _o,
+---------------+ +------------------+ ....husband in the
desert --- ==( ((O7O
even more rocks...retaining wall --
____________________________
| house |

My questions are...

1. I have soil in my backyard that I can use but it has weed seeds
all over it. How do I treat it so that I don't get the weeds? Is there
some kind of super poison?? My wife made the suggestion to let the
weeds grow and then pick them out--I think there's a better way but
what?

2. can I use potting soil? I know it's a lot but at least it would be
weed free? Is there another type of lawn soil cheaper than potting
soil?
3. I'm in Southern Ca. what grass seeds do you recommend?
4. Despite my limited level or patience and budget, I can't use sod--
the cost is prohibitive to my interests. Is what I want to do
realistic?

Please help! ( it just needs to be done)

...help?

thanks.

Alex

I'm gonna apologize in advance for this "brainstorm"..
Do You know of a place that is scheduled for construction? Like
digging a basement or maybe just Cat work? Maybe get permission and
get Yer mitts on a sod cutter and cut Yer own..If I remember right
from 20 years ago You can cut any managable lengths and roll it up to
haul..I'll bet dollars to donuts You can get more info,tips n tricks
online..
Dean