Old 11-02-2007, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Who Cares? Who Cares? is offline

Default Stupid beginner problems

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 04:11:12 GMT, Who Cares?
wrote:

On 5 Jan 2007 00:43:15 -0800, "JoeBartoszek"
wrote:

First off i have to say that i am living in taiwan and as far as asking
any store workers questions is out. As well, any products i purchase
are also completely in chinese so all i have to go by are names like
'plant growth', with no idea what is in them, with the exception of
'FE' which didnt help.

Anyways, I have a 25 gallon tank, brand new soil, six plants, 1 brand
new light(38Watt, 7200k), and about 19 inch. of fish ranging from,
pleekos, angels, cichlids, and one fighting fish. (you would think
they would kill each other but there good)

pleekos like plants, I feed mine cucumbers.

I've got two in a 40gal, they're both the size of a jokeswagon.
They're over 10 years old.

Don't know if this will help you.

me

Sorry, when you said pleekos, you did mean Pacostamus, right?

Algae eaters?

If so, they like plants and will eat them.

Perhaps that's why you have holes in the leaves of the plants, the
fish are eating the plants.

me again.

My problem is that My plants are not growing. Thats not entirely true.
My plants are growing but they are dying off faster than they are
growing. dying from the outside of the leaves inward. I do have a
homemade Co2 set up going which i though twould help but now i am not
sure......
Do i have enough light in my tank? i have read on some websites that i
need roughly 75 w. for a tank that size. I have looked in some
aquarium stores here and all i am finding are bulbs ranging from 18
-25 watt, I cant even find a bulb as strong as the one i have. Do i
need to find a stronger bulb, or buy another light?
Other readings have had me asking the questions, "Do I have a sulfur
deficiency problem, or perhaps a nitrogen problem?

SO, any advice you have, send it my way. I am in dire need of some help

Joe