Old 26-03-2003, 01:20 AM
saki

Default Double Delight and Miniatures

"Susan H. Simko" wrote in
:

Last year I took out the azaleas and put in zinnias. This year, I'm
really thinking about putting in some miniature roses. Saki's
recommendation of Scentsational has got it a spot on my list. I would
prefer mauve and yellow roses in those spots. Any suggestions on
scented miniatures aside for Scentsational?

Sweet Chariot is supposed to be a terrifically-scented mini with a damask
fragrance. I don't grow this one but plan to at some point, and it looks
as though it would go well with Scentsational if you'd like to stay in
the lavender/mauve combination:

http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/minis/chariot.html

I don't grown any yellows at all but ran across Lemon Pearls, which
sounds nice and is well-scented:

http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/minis/lemonpearls.html

Of course you could also pair Scentsational with smaller-scale blossoms
like polyanthas (though they're not terribly fragrant, except for Mevrouw
Nathalie Nypels---a nearly-single light pink rose, one that I've grown
and liked for years); or perhaps grow it at the base of a noisette or
hybrid musk.

I'm considering planting Scentsational with Baby Faurax or International
Herald Tribute because I'm intrigued with combining dark mauve with
lavender, but that's just me. I'd also like to put Scentsational together
with Eugene de Beauharnais; I think burgundy and lavender are good
combinations as well, and in this case the combined fragrance might well
stop traffic.

Scentsational might also look good with 'Violet Queen' zinnas. I have a
fondness for zinnias; they were the first flower I ever grew. I ran
across a photo taken in 1963 of my first gardening attempt (I was about
eight or nine), which consisted of a pot of violet zinnias, a smaller pot
with what is probably an ajuga (a groundcover---the blue probably
attracted me) and a mauve crepe myrtle tree about two feet high. Clearly
my color predilections were firmly in place even then.

----