Old 14-02-2007, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
aquachimp aquachimp is offline

Default Re 'The Test'

On Feb 14, 7:59 pm, "aquachimp"
wrote:
On Feb 14, 7:33 pm, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

aquachimp wrote:
On Feb 13, 12:29 am, Martin wrote:
"Tom" wrote in message
. ..
"'Mike'" wrote in message
.. .
What does an IQ of 33 mean?

http://iq-test.learninginfo.org/iq04.htm

"90 Laborers; Gardeners; ... ".

Seeing as that was preceded by;

"Apparently, the IQ gives a good indication of the occupational group
that a person will end up in, though not of course the specific
occupation.

Which would imply that "Gardener" is not a specific occupation.
Which would further imply that it is (e.g.) a hobby.
Which in turn implies that none of those within the higher category
can possibly be "Gardeners".

Which suggests that "90" is the appropriate measure for those who
produce such rubbish!

Well, no. It means "not the specific occupation for the person
concerned". Where I _would_ quarrel with it is in its apparent
unawareness of how many different levels are represented by the term
"gardener": you don't need a huge IQ to drive lawnmowers and hedge
trimmers for the council, but I wouldn't call that gardening. And why
upholsterers, I wonder? Not the largest occupational category I can
think of. A slightly odd world-view.

You're right off course. I was just taking the ****. I though it might
amuse.
Though I still feel my last point is relevant regarding the authors of
that bit of information.

In the context given, Gardeners are listed next to labourers, to
provide it with the relevant context. Which should cover the different
levels you mention.

But the occupational group; Gardeners can include the specific
occupation of Gardener e.g. Head Gardener at ....(where ever)
A group of Head Gardeners would belong to the Gardeners group category
They would belong to that group AND the specific occupation.

--
Mike.

Aherm... I had spelt their "Laborers" as labourers