Old 14-02-2007, 09:59 PM posted to rec.ponds
Tristan Tristan is offline

Default Sick koi and need advice (with pics)

How long a fish lives is irrevelant , and has no bearing on it. A fish
can catch either disease at any age, however its more likely to catch
one before the other at a younger age. One goes away with temps, but
is most likely to reoccur. That fish is totally stressed out as is
easily seen by the read streaks in tail. Since that warty looking mass
of flesh was not there earlier that pretty well leave sout the once
disease, along with the patch or white that refuses to go away,
somehow I am just lead to belive that fish is a total mess and is
doomed.... Your right, it needs to be quarantined, and not dumped in
someone else pond to get it out of sight.

Do a search on both deseases, for your self without any intervention
by opposed parties here on the usenet groups. If you come up with more
questions ask. As no one wants to loose a fish either, it is not hard
to get into a no win situation with not really knowing what is wrong
with the fish, and two, not having professionals around to diagnose it
properly and that entails a patholgy type test, not a simple visual
look see in a picture. Then comes expense to cure if its possible to
cure the problem and a means to do it. Is it really worth while to QT
a fish long term or is it better overall to bite the bullet and
euthanize. As good as your images are, its hard to say one way or the
other and any one reallay saying its this or that for sure is
guessing. Not the wisest choice of info to take. I threw a post on a
wellknown koi forum, not wanting to have a simple or easy diagnosis
go unchecked if there is such a thing, and as much as I do not want to
take away potential posters from this group I am looking at the ebst
interests for your fish overall. In anothe rpost I will make entitled
Consensus of sick Koi, you can read what replies have been made and
make your own decison, but just remember, only 100% real way to know
is a pathological test for the type of virus....no wild a$$ guess is
effective and its a shot in the dark. If you choose that decision or
advice is yoiur option, and no one is gonna find fault wityh you for
doing what you think is right, wellthat is except forone person here
who advises to toss it ina farm pond.
Let me gopy paste the replies and make that post and then you can see
yet more opinions some of which are made by professionals in the world
of KOI.

Regards

On 14 Feb 2007 11:17:56 -0800, "scs0" wrote:

From what I've gathered my koi's problem may be:

Carp pox (aka Lymphocystis)
Or
Koi herpes

I'm unclear on whether or not Carp Pox and Koi Herpes are different
diseases or just the same name for the same thing.

I don't want to kill the fish, but it certainly sounds like I should
isolate this one. That's a bit of a pain considering the size these
fish are getting to, but one thing I learned is that these bigger fish
are much lazier and easier to catch than the impossible-to-catch
younger ones. I definitely don't want to contact the Department of
Agriculture. Government and environmental issues are a scary thing to
mix and I've heard the horror stories. I'd probably end up with 100
euthanized koi and a demolished pond. I'll be lucky if they don't
find a way to condemn my property altogether!

I would like to get out of this without the death of this fish. I've
never really liked its color patterns too much but that's a mean
reason to settle for its euthanization!

Don't worry; the last thing I'll do is release this fish into the wild
or any other body of water for that matter.

-------