Old 14-02-2007, 09:34 PM posted to rec.ponds
Tristan Tristan is offline

Default Consensus of Sick Koi was ---- Sick koi and need advice (with pics)

Here is the copy pastes of opinions and advice of some others in a
well run troll free forum that has lots of professional koi health
practitioners known in the world of KOI.....Names of posters have been
X'd out but they are professionals and not quacks. I am not saying
that there is not folks in the rec.p[onds group that are not capable,
but right now participation due to trolls and folks like carol Gulley
aka Zebulon makes conducting anything almost impossible to help people
out. Best of luck to you.
==================================

The tail looks like koi pox and the fish is very stressed as you can
see from the red streaks in the tail.

The second pic isn't clear. It could have a thicker slime coat causing
the whitish film. Have they been tested for parasites?

What's the water temp and pH and are they stable?

xxxxxx
Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Joined: 2-June 06
From: Eastern (Thumb) Panhandle of Wild Wonderful West Virginia
Member No.: 28

Hmmm. I don't know xxxxx....that lesion on the tail sure looks more
like a tumor or lymphocystis. See the texutre of it and the color? Pox
is usually just opaque and flatter. Seems to be more of this thing
going on......viral....and hard to "cure".
What kind of water temperature is this fish kept in? Pox will clear in
warmer water usually.
Most specimens(not all) I have seen with this flat wide whitened
(viral poxy type) area have not been kept in good water.
If it is not getting smaller (especially if they live in an area where
the temperature changes with the seasons) but bigger, I would expect
lymphocystis or cancer.

This post has been edited byxxxx: Yesterday, 11:49 PM
===================================

xxxxxxx
Advanced Member

Group: Super Moderator
Joined: 2-June 06
From: Lugoff, SC
Member No.: 21

I have to agree with xxx.....the tail looks like a cancerous growth
to me.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Advanced Member
Group: Moderator
Joined: 4-June 06
From: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Member No.: 95

I also agree with xxxxx and xxxxx, that the taol looks like a
tumorous growth.

From the very few cases I've seen of on freshwater fish and the
numerous ones that I've seen on sal****er fish ....Lymphocystis
usually just forms a whitish cauliflower like growth, with out the red
inflammation.

The dorsal spot is probably pox but but it reminds me of Hikui, but
that usually just shows up on beni, so I'm not sure what it is\

xxxx

xxxxxxxxx
Advanced Member
Group: Super Moderator
Joined: 2-June 06
From: Covington, Louisiana
Member No.: 14
================================

Maybe I had wrong advice with my fish. Years ago, I had a fish with a
lesion that looked just like that only at the joint of the pec fin. It
as also red. I was told it was koi pox and it would come and go with
temp changes. I could never figure out why the lump never went away.
Sorry for the wrong advice.

xxxxxxxxx

Advanced Member
Group: Moderator
Joined: 4-June 06
From: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Member No.: 95

xxxxx, not all that wrong............ if you look at the edge of the
fin those growths are pox..............overall this fish has problems

xx

xxxxxxxx

Advanced Member
Group: Super Moderator
Joined: 2-June 06
From: Covington, Louisiana
Member No.: 14

Thanks, xxx

So the main difference in telling a tumor from pox is the red veining?
Does location have anything to do with it?

xxxxxxxxxxx

Advanced Member

xxxxx

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Joined: 4-June 06
From: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Member No.: 95

QUOTE(xxxxxx @ Feb 14 2007, 09:56 AM)
Thanks,xxxxxxxxxx

So the main difference in telling a tumor from pox is the red veining?
Does location have anything to do with it?

1st off unless a path lab did some testing, we're giving opinions
here, not fact........If you look at the fin edge and then the growth
they really do not like alike. The growth has very definate edges and
the growths at the fin edges kind of blend back into the fin. Both
have some veining and inflammation. If you blow the second pic up the
anal fin also has some growth on it...overall this fish is a mess

xxxxxxx

-------