Old 15-02-2007, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton Richard Sexton is offline

Default Sea Shells in a freshwater tank

In article ,
Skip Hollowell wrote:
The kids and I picked up some great ocean shells from the beach, and I
was wondering if I could somehow make them safe for introduction for my
freshwater tank. They would be a great hidey hole for the amano and
blueberry shrimp during their molts.

Traditionally you'll be told NO! They contribute to carbonate buildup
as they (ever so slowly) dissolve.

But that's, for lack of a better term, old skool thinking.

If you change water a lot you'll remove any carbonates as they
build up.

If you don't change water a lot your tank will go acid and the
shells will mitigate what gets referred to as "old tank syndrome".

Go for it.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net