Old 15-02-2007, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Skip Hollowell Skip Hollowell is offline

Default Plants for low tech low light newbie tank

Skip Hollowell wrote:
Thanks Richard. After prowling this group for a few weeks, I know that
you are the defacto expert, so moss it is.

I saw an article about training it with a couple of sheets of that
plastic needlepoint fabric. Is that a preferred method to get it into a
shape and size I like for starting out? Obviously it will grow
(hopefully) and need trimming, but I gotta start somewhere.

If I can get this going, and get it to a point of acceptability by the
Mrs., then I can look at more wattage, and thus more advanced plantings.

Thanks again.

Skip Hollowell

2 weeks in with my main plants, and here's the shocker. The
glossostigma is thriving, and send out some serous runners, and the
Dwarf Hairgrass is slightly brown on the tips, so it seems a little
distressed. I really thought it would go the other way, but it's still
early in the game. I am trying not to mess with it all too much and let
things flesh out a bit. At this point, all stores in the area are fresh
out of java moss.

The java fern and sprite are just fine. The shrimp have gotten the hair
algae under control for now, and with a couple water changes the stain
from the residual tannins in the drift woods should slowly dissipate,
although I do prefer a bit of color to the water.

The progression of the plantings can be seen he
http://www.skipdaddy.com/images/tank1.jpg
http://www.skipdaddy.com/images/tank2.jpg
http://www.skipdaddy.com/images/tank3.jpg