Old 15-02-2007, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default Plants for low tech low light newbie tank

Skip Hollowell wrote:

2 weeks in with my main plants, and here's the shocker.**The
glossostigma is thriving, and send out some serous runners, and the
Dwarf Hairgrass is slightly brown on the tips, so it seems a little
distressed.***I*really*thought*it*would*go*the*oth er*way,*but*it's*still
early in the game.**I*am*trying*not*to*mess*with*it*all*too*muc h*and*let
things flesh out a bit.**At*this*point,*all*stores*in*the*area*are*fr esh
out of java moss.

FWIW, there are apparently two different plants sold as dwarf hairgrass.. I've
had good luck with one and bad luck with the other.

I tried java moss and had no luck with it. Java ferns and cryptocorynes are
doing fine, as is pygmy chain sword (a slightly larger grass-like plant).
Anubias nana is even blooming, although it requires a bit more light than you
have.

BTW, I have hard alkaline water so that may be different than yours.

--
It's turtles, all the way down