Old 15-02-2007, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Composting Contaminated Carrots

"Robert" wrote after...
Nick Maclaren replied to
: Chris :
::: Every year my carrots have carrot root fly.
::: The ones I'm digging at the moment have to have about 30% cut out
::: and thrown away.
:
: Are you growing a resistant variety? I find that doing so reduces
: that to about 5%, which is acceptable.
:
Snip

..

Or try making a wooden compost filled open framework at least 18" above
ground as per the Big Dig allotment programme last year. Apparently the
blighters don't fly that high. I'll let you know later!

Errr, didn't work for us! This year we will use envirofleece over the top
too.

--
Regards
Bob H