Old 18-02-2007, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Zebulon Zebulon is offline

Default Sea Shells in a freshwater tank

"Skip Hollowell" wrote in message
news:PJWdnUfdXvEw40nYnZ2dnUVZ_s2vnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
The kids and I picked up some great ocean shells from the beach, and I was
wondering if I could somehow make them safe for introduction for my
freshwater tank. They would be a great hidey hole for the amano and
blueberry shrimp during their molts.

Any ideas?

I lived on Long Island for years and picked up shells constantly. I washed
them off and used them in fishtanks all the time. Just watch out for the
conch shells as I had a fish wedge itself in one and die. I switched to
clam, oyster and barnacle shells after that. But getting trapped can happen
even with store bought shells.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.