Old 21-02-2007, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Skip Hollowell Skip Hollowell is offline

Default Advice on choice of shrimps and/or fish for a plant tank

Richard Sexton wrote:
In article ,
David Kershaw wrote:
My intention is to maintain a plant display tank, but algie is always doing
to be a problem, so can anyone advise me on the best choice of shrinps or
fish to control the algie?

In a properly fertilized tank you won't have algae. The plants will out-compete
them.

Having said that a couple of dozen ammano shrimp never hurt any
planted tank.

What is the recommended 'dosage' of shrimp per gallon? Seems like kind
of a silly question, but assuming a person can't get the tank properly
fertilized (I am sure I get more of an understanding that that means as
the experiment continues) is it just a matter of adding a few at a time
until you notice they are keeping up with their required housekeeping
duties?

I have 6 in my 20 gallon tank, and the little buggers seem to, for the
most part, be content to just hang out on the driftwood all day. It
must have all the eats they need. I'd hate to drop $30 on 6 more just
to find *them* hanging out on the driftwood in one big shrimp ball.

The 2 blueberry shrimp are not quite the homebodies, and are constantly
on the move throughout the tank.