Old 27-02-2007, 11:36 AM posted to aus.gardens
Geoff & Heather Geoff & Heather is offline

Default bulk cow manure in Sydney

I can tell you where to get mushroom compost in Newcastle for $30 pm - bit
of a drive though :-)

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"Terryc" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:

hm, can't help you with cow, but someone _always_ advertises in our
local paper to sell mushroom compost at (what seems to be) a very cheap
price. shall i get their details for you? we are southern tablelands -
so i'm not sure if that helps. i believe the ad says location isn't a
problem (perhaps he sends it?)

Well, I'm at Campbelltown, so I doubt if they would want to deliver that
far north, but it doesn't hurt to give them a ring and talk.

The best I ever did in mushie was a oncer just north of windor on the
northern road at that Ampol(?) servo just above that little place I can
not remember {:-).

oh yes, i know it well ;-)

The largish (wool bale base size) plastic bag they grew them in could be
had for $2 each.

hm, well cheap is certainly relative. iirc this person sells 10 x 40 litre
bags for $40. (or is it 4 x 10 litre bags for $4 each??? or something.
there are tens and fours in there somewhere!)

The major problem was lifting the then well decayed and
soggy bags into the back of the van.

This was before the Freeway went through to Beresford and we were doing a
trip to and from Cessnock.

We have come to the realisation that wee need to dump about a foot of
compost onto our garden soil to just get it up to basic good growing
level. We started with basic Sydney Sandstone derived soil that had been
drowned in chlorine/sal****er pool dumping for a few years (before us).
After years of adding a little bit more each year, it has finally dawned
that we really need to do a massive enrichment to overcome all the past
and get stuff growing well.

Even mulching every green thing we can (absolutely no green waste) is not
having much effect. So we figure a massive load might make next spring a
good rather than patchy growing season.

most likely. you have to wonder where some people's heads are at, don't
you? how exasperating.

anyway, the point here is that i have lost my paper. indulge me until next
wednesday, whereupon i shall find the ad again. unless, of course, it's
not in next week g. sorry about that. stay tuned!!
kylie