Old 28-02-2007, 11:55 PM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default worms! (book recommendation)

"0tterbot" wrote in message
firstly, i am thrilled to announce that after nearly 6 months of work, i
am getting more & more & more worms

Congratulations! Having started my veggie garden with a similar situation,
I can understand your excitement.

(having started from a worm population of
approximately none - when i first began planting, i could have cried. the
only worms i had were some which hitchhiked in my compost bin). this is
very exciting for me as much of our soil is acid clay riddled with rocks.
it's becoming loamier, browner, crumblier, healthy-and-good-smelling and
(obviously) wormier in front of my eyes.

No doubt that horse poop has helped :-))

secondly, a REALLY INTERESTING worm book i've borrowed from the library. i
will have to buy a copy as all the dry science stuff cannot possibly be
retained for long after the book goes back (or indeed 5 minutes after
reading).
david murphy: organic growing with worms - a handbook for a better
environment (penguin [viking imprint] 2005, isbn 0 670 04174 2)

also as a side note, he explains how preparation 500 (biodynamics)
actually works - sort of. sadly, the term "cosmic forces" was used without
enough irony (sigh), but at least it's an explanation which makes actual
sense.

And what did he have to say (in a nut shell if you can give it) about
Formula 500 or was he too long winded?