Old 01-03-2007, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin Janet Galpin is offline

Default And..../keeping chickens

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 28/2/07 17:37, in article , "Janet
Galpin" wrote:

snip

I'm in exactly the same state of doubt. I'd love to keep chickens and
have inherited a rather splendid chicken-house, but just worry about the
problems of not being able to stay away over night etc.
I'm wondering about getting some moveable electric fencing so that I can
vary the area the chickens use, but keep hesitating because of these
doubts. I'd be interested to know from anyone who keeps chickens whether
it's OK to leave them occasionally to put themselves to bed if the
fencing is good enough to keep foxes etc out.

My step daughter kept hers in a thing rather like a fruit cage. It was
built up against the fence so the chicken wire simply had to go along the
front of the run and have a door made into it. Could you do that or
something similar?

Yes, something like this. I was originally thinking of moveable fencing
so that I could move them around and keep them on fresh ground, allowing
grass to grow. The area round the chicken-house is over-run with
nettles and I thought I could mow part of it in the hope that that would
get rid of the nettles while keeping the chickens on the other bit -
then swap over. Perhaps permanent fencing would be a better idea and
perhaps I just need to wait patiently until I've controlled the nettles.

Janet G