Old 03-03-2007, 10:44 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default worms! (book recommendation)

:-)) You may just have hit the nail on the head in your description of
the way it's done. Protection and nurturing of the bacteria from
inception to spreading. Most gardening is done at human convenience and
not for the benefit of microflora/biota.

.... despite that the benefit of the biota is a benefit for the humans!! (i'm
wanting to get to the point where they do more work than i do ;-) i wonder
if they can be trained to sow seed?

i'll have to look for the yeomans PLOUGH g.

But remember if you want to find it with google you must call it a PLOW
( I assume that they must want to sell into the US market)

in fact, i put in "yeomans plough" and up it came first thing! that's what
meta-tags are for - you put in every conceivable spelling or misspelling
someone might make while looking for you - which in this case should include
"plow" in the meta-tags but not the business name, NOT the other way around.

i found it a weirdly-organised site, didn't have 12 minutes to download all
the plough photos & info, did not like their spelling & sent them a snippy
email to say so :-) if they want to think i'd have bought 25 ploughs if not
for their site arrangement & spelling, well all power to me g.

atm all i can contemplate is
one of those tiny ride-on jobs. big machinery is out of the question.

But do you have a farm and need to renovate pastures? If not, dont' worry
about it

yes i have a farm & yes i need to renovate pasture (well, i need to renovate
pasture into a better growing medium!!) my farm is tiny & even most of that
is bushland & is going to stay that way, so we are talking about a very tiny
scale indeed, comparitively speaking. that's one reason i can only
contemplate tiny machinery. the other reason is that it's just me. for
example, it took me many years to come to accept a power drill over a hand
drill (although i am fully converted now ;-)

people round here only have livestock & don't grow crops except tree crops
(or annual crops for pasture for their animals). looking at this one way,
it's quite obvious why - the soil's not "fertile" in the classic sense,
although obviously i'm exploring its potential. but looking at it another
way, it doesn't make that much sense, actually, so i think i would be onto a
good thing to have a mixture of things i am doing to get the farm to pay for
itself. (dh has a job so there's no rush with this - hence i ended up
focussing in the immediate term on making the land support US only, then it
can progress to supporting itself). i need systems! i'm trying to put them
in place but underestimated how long this all takes. the chicken-garden
system is well underway albeit still terribly time-consuming, the next
system will probably revolve around some little pigs to get bigger areas of
soil more fertile, and a bit of a house-cow system when the fences get
fixed. past owners have farmed commercially in the past (for most of its
history) but they're not here now, so i want to fix their messes & get on
with it myself.

although it I think you would enjoy reading Yeomans. Most
committed gardeners seem to.

i shall try again :-)

(really, i want a pair of donkeys and the type of plough they can pull
for me. :-)
kylie the luddite

Snort! You'll do anything to get pelleted manure!

would going into rhapsodies about their sweet fuzzy faces make any
difference?
kylie