Old 27-03-2003, 01:20 AM
Hany Hosny

Default corn gluten weed killer in pellet form?

Not at all. Glad you asked.

I applied it, last spring, to my 3/4 acre yard.

Used my Scott's spreader set to 17 (which is 20 lbs. per 100 ft).

It was applied about 6 or 7 days before the dandelions surfaced. I figured I
had missed the window of opportunity for spring results, but that the fall
might be a little better than the previous year.

The fall was no good at all. Dandelions, crabgrass, thistle, etc.

I didn't apply it again in the fall and just held on to what remained to use
it again this spring. Applied it (using the same setting on the spreader)
last Tuesday, which is LONG before the grass (or anything else) surfaced. (I
live in the Chicago area, just so you get a sense for what the climate is
like).

It rained really generously on a few occasions, but I noticed that the
fround, despite not being anywhere near frozen, is npt absorbing the WOW
Plus. In other words, it's just sitting on the surface, as opposed to being
broken down by the water and being absorbed into the ground.

The people at Gardens Alive will wash their hands of responsibility by
telling you that this stuff needs to be applied spring and fall, for three
years for a 90% reduction in weeds. At nearly 50 dollars a bag and 3/4 of an
acre, I'm reluctant.

If my hunch plays out, the stuff I threw down last week will have no effect
and I'll have ended my relationship with the people at Gardens Alive.

Not impressed. And I don't accept the garbage premise that I need to spend
500 dollars, twice a year, for three years just to see if it's going to
work.

On to the next product.

Anyone know of anything more effective (and natural)?

-- Hany
Visit Kiambu, Nina, and Kasha's World
http://home.earthlink.net/~rooke8/ridgebacks

"animaux" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 13:52:42 GMT, "Hany Hosny"

wrote:

Where can I find the trials info for corn gluten effectiveness?

Dennis

Well, you can start with my non-scientific conclusions about Wow! Plus (a
product by Gardens Alive). Big waste of money. I've dropped close to

1,000
dollars on this product (over a period of one year) and it is virtually
useless. No matter how much is applied it has no effect whatsoever. Buyer
beware.

-- Hany
Visit Kiambu, Nina, and Kasha's World
http://home.earthlink.net/~rooke8/ridgebacks

On what did you use the product, at what rate and within what window of

time did you
apply it? I'm curious not to disparage you, but to find out why you did

not get good
results.