Old 08-03-2007, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected][_2_] hairyarms@aussiemail.com.au[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone have any opinions on any of the hand-held digital PH meters?

On Mar 8, 3:51 am, "Rick F." wrote:

OTOH the dye indicator system I have used and that are used by
experienced gardeners of my acquaintance are quite accurate enough and
reliable.

Ok.. Can you point me to a respectable brand you've been able to get good
results with? Our local home centers carry one brand that's like this and
I'm not sure if it's any good or not -- it's only about $5 or so.. If my
memory serves me, it's the RapidTest PH Soil Tester which can be seen at
the following site :

http://homeharvest.com/soiltesting.htm

The one that I have is by Manutec, an Australian company, I have no
idea if it is only available in Oz or not, it cost about $12 AU ($9
US). It contains:

- instructions
- laminated comparison card
- white plastic test plate and stiring stick
- liquid dye reagent
- neutral white powder for colour display

The way it works is:

- you put a sample (about 1/4 teaspoon) of soil on the plate
- moisten with reagent, stir with the stick
- compare the colour to the card which is graduated to the 1/2 pH unit
- if the colour is not obvious puff a little white powder on to make
it show up

I am about 1/5 down the reagent bottle and I have done dozens of
tests.

I was wrong about the order of the colours on the card (had to get it
out and check) but red/green colour confusion still gives me no
bother.

I note the one in your link only does 10 tests and works in solution,
I have no experience of that.

David