Old 08-03-2007, 06:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
Rick F. Rick F. is offline

Default Anyone have any opinions on any of the hand-held digital PH meters?

On 2007-03-08, wrote:

The one that I have is by Manutec, an Australian company, I have no
idea if it is only available in Oz or not, it cost about $12 AU ($9
US). It contains:

- instructions
- laminated comparison card
- white plastic test plate and stiring stick
- liquid dye reagent
- neutral white powder for colour display

The way it works is:

- you put a sample (about 1/4 teaspoon) of soil on the plate
- moisten with reagent, stir with the stick
- compare the colour to the card which is graduated to the 1/2 pH unit
- if the colour is not obvious puff a little white powder on to make
it show up

Cool.. I did poke around on Ebay and Google and nobody appears to sell Manutec
products outside Australia.. I did find one of these and it sounds pretty much
like the same sort of test kit :

http://www.benmeadows.com/store/Soil...d_Strips/7695/

It's a bit pricey but looks like it would be just about as accurate..

Thanks again..