Old 09-03-2007, 12:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan Carl 1 Lucky Texan is offline

Default Garden/Landscaping Information request

Thea Barbato wrote:
Hi,
I'm new to the group and would like to request direct information or perhaps
some sites that will provide me direct information about light landscaping
(versus moving a whole yard around - I'm not referring to illumination with
the term "light" : - ) and flower gardens..

I have several areas in my yard that need "prettying up" or at least, a
modicum of landscaping efforts. My budget is modest, but I do want it to
look as nice as possible within my constraints. I'm in Zone 7 and the
specific area(s) to be planted are in both full sun and partial shade. I'm
planning to plant a vegetable garden which is pretty basic, so that's no
real challenge.

However, I'm seeking to plant some nice flowers and/or other reasonably
priced green shrubs/plants. I prefer perennials so that I'm not replanting
each year and am considering some daisies as one option, but definitely want
a variety. I'm looking for hardy flowers that can withstand drought and if
possible, fragrant flowers.

I realize my requests are too open-ended to get much specific info. If
someone could recommend a superb gardening site that offers comparative
information on different plants and also planting suggestions (i.e., a
landscape plan), then that would be most helpful.

Thank you in advance and I apologize if this has been asked and covered
before.

Aside from taking advantage of the expertise in this group, there's also
the various forums at www.davesgarden.com . The Plant Files database
there has helped me quite a bit. Also, checkout
www.squarefootgardening.com . My wife and I just built,filled and
planted (mostly) 3 4x4 frames. 2 with different veggies and one with
flowers.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)