Old 11-03-2007, 09:12 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default worms! (book recommendation)

that's it. along with the oddball opinions, it creates doubt in one's
mind.

I must admit that I don't mind oddball opinions if it's not opinions being
foisted on me by politicians who actually have to power to impact on my
life. I might argue strongly against them but I find that they make me
think about why I don't like them so I think they are often a good brain
tester.

i should probably rephrase that, as i don't mind oddball opinions either in
fact. well, i'm sure i object to some of them.

what i object to is oddball bits within an otherwise non-oddball system of
belief/thought/argument.

e.g.: there's nothing oddball about espousing ripping systems to regenerate
soil and doing various things to promote soil health nor the idea that soil
health is the key to saving us all. BUT, if within that system of thought
the yeomans are _also_ espousing nuclear energy as part of the system when
we all know it cannot be made economic for 30- 50 years; advocating
broad-scale clearing (because they've decided carbon sequestration into
soil, rather than or as well as trees is the key); and making bizarre claims
such as that nuclear waste has a 90% breakdown within 50 years when no other
person (e.g. nuclear scientists) say any such thing (even most plastics
don't break down that fast!). the first example makes no sense - it's
totally uneconomic; any benefit would simply be too slow and any potential
advantage is tainted by the question of what to do with the waste (obviously
"we" can't just "put it in the titanic"). the second example is daft because
even if carbon sequestration into soil is "better" than into trees, trees
clearly have many other uses other than as carbon sinks. and afaik, the
third claim is simply wrong. i could give other examples but i'm concerned
i'm just whingeing :-) the whacko booklet is quite recent but is already out
of date, that would be one problem (e.g. no mention of geothermal energy).

so yeah, people can be oddball & that's fine, but if they're promoting a
system, the whole system has to be consistent & logical on its own terms.

In agricultural terms I think it was new to this country and given that
they also export to the US, I think they were certainly there in the
earliest of days. If you read the Yeoman's books you'll se what I mean.
I know there are at least some chapters available online if not the whole
of the first book.

Yeomans was the equivalent of the Peter Andrews (of natural sequence
farming fame) of his day.

mm, but ripping-without-turning was/is entirely promoted in australia by the
permies, i thought(?) not to put too fine a point on it, the yeomans are
pretty obscure. if they stuck to their part (making machinery for those
types of ends) without telling everyone to chop down trees and go nuclear &
that there's "no point" in anyone saving energy(!), maybe things would be
different! (similar to my gripe about the biodynamic set ;-)

I actually don't find Costello creepy at all.

i find his love affair with those hillsong snots to be very, very creepy and
dubious. other than that, and most of his politics and policies, i don't
have a problem with him :-)

The real problem for many
pollies is that they are very differnt in the flesh than they appear on
the box or in the 10 second grabs on the radio. He is a very decent human
being (with that good sense of humour you mentioned) and I could cope with
the Libs being in govt if he was at the helm

i'd prefer it, to tell you the truth. i think that moment came last year,
was not taken up, & there's going to be a few people sorry that it didn't
happen.

(except I do have some concerns
given that he was the legal eagle involved in the infamous Dollar Sweets
court case). He isn't up himself like some. I also like Bronwyn Bishop.
Pity she gets such undeserved bad press - she actually has a conscience.

i think she's a bitch from hell who also plays the man but not the ball in a
humourless evil way, but then again i rather like amanda vanstone for her
forthrightness, which makes people fall off their chairs sometimes when i
say that :-)

Its the cutting bit. Probably best to show you a pic so look at:
http://www.unibar.com.au/products/ag/ub44-900.html
It's the round discs in front of the shanks.

heavens, i thought those were wheels of some kind.

Thanks for the offer but since I've already asked them for it, I'm
probably in the system somewhere - I mailed them so I might just have to
do as you did and go online if it's not here in a couple of days.

have a moan at them about their terrible spelling - it makes them sit up &
take notice ;-)
kylie