Old 12-03-2007, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Reel McKoi Reel McKoi is offline

Default Amazon Sward Plant

"David Kershaw" wrote in message
.uk...
Can anyone tell me the best substrate, the depth of substrate and the
water conditions required for an Amazon Sward Plant?
Regards David

===============================
Mine don't do too well here where the water is hard and alkaline. In NYC
they did much better in a fine gravel 1 1/2" deep in a softer more acid
water. I think the main problem with them is in nature they're only
underwater for a period of time. In our tanks they don't get that above
water time they've adapted to over the ages. We keep them constantly
submerged. Also, they do better with aquarium plant fertilizer tabs pressed
into the bottom around their roots. Mine get 160 w fluorescent light for 12
hours a day over 55g tanks.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.