Old 14-03-2007, 06:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] juicymixx@mailinator.com is offline

Default should I cut my banana tree down?

Hey everyone,

I live in North Central Florida, and have several banana plants in a
clump on my property. Some of the plants started producing fruit
back in November, however the recent freezing snaps have gotten to
them (despite my efforts). The plants with fruit stopped making
leaves soon after fruit appeared on them. Now after weather is
getting warmer, the other trees are making leaves (we cut back the
dried, dead leaves), however the trees with fruit seem to be sad.
Their fruit is blackened, and they aren't making leaves.
Additionally, their stems/trunks are very water filled, and not hard/
solid like the other plants.
I believe that I should cut them down, but I've never done it
before... I think I'll take a machete or a saw to the stem/trunk,
and cut it down to 3 ft or so. Is this right? Is there anything
special I have to do to the plant before (or after) doing this? Will
another plant grow out of the cut down one?

Thanks.