Old 15-03-2007, 01:40 AM posted to rec.ponds
G Pearce G Pearce is offline

Default lost a large bf koi and other things

Hi Ann - I had the same thing happen 5 yrs ago to a ~ 16" straight tail koi
that was not the best looking , but a friendlier fish that we became
attached to. I know how you feel as I came home one day and found it laying
on the slate walkway around the pond. I haven't seen any of my BF koi
jumping, like my straight tail ones did
JME Gale :~)
"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
We went out of town to San Antonio for spring break from Sunday, until
today. We knew that DH's uncle was a week or less away from passing away
from cancer, but we went on, knowing that he(DH) could fly home at a
moment's notice. Anyway, yesterday, my MIL came by to check on the cat,
and found one of my two largest bf koi lying on the driveway, evidently
having jumped out of the pond. He was not a classically attractive koi,
not of a recognized pattern. I used to find him endearingly ugly. Over
the last two years, though, I started to find him kind of pretty. If I
can remember my photobucket login, I'll come back and post a link to a
pic. He was bright yellow, with doitsu scales on the dorsal ridge and
random looking red freckles all over. kinda goofy.
The weird thing is that we had stopped at Water Garden Gems and picked up
a baby bf with gray matsuba scales and a yellow spot on his head and
yellow lips. The head is very white, which I hope is a sign of quality.
I am likely going back, the last wkend in March to try to get one more
from Tank Hollow Farms.