Old 15-03-2007, 05:20 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,misc.consumers.frugal-living
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default junkets

"John Savage" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given writes:
"John Savage" wrote in message
On a local radio gardening program (2GB here in Sydney) a caller asked
was there a home-grown substitute for setting milk when making cottage
cheese. (This need has been forced on us because most of the two major
supermarket-chain stores have removed junket tablets from their shelves;

Anyone have other plant-based suggestions?

Here's a pretty comprehensive list:
http://www.pfaf.org/database/search_use.php?K[]=Curdling%20agent

Indeed an interesting list. I'd welcome suggestions for a substitute for
rennet in making junket, too. This involves setting the milk, rather than
just making it curdle. (I can use pineapple cordial base to make milk
curdle, but it won't turn it into a junket.)

"Lady's bedstraw" is a natural rennet. I had some in my previous garden.
See:
http://www.englishplants.co.uk/ladysbed.html and
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/b/bedlad25.html