Old 17-03-2007, 01:24 AM posted to triangle.gardens
me[_2_] me[_2_] is offline

Default fish pond = cant see 'em cuz the algea

"GE is ME" wrote in message
thlink.net...
I am frustrated. I have seven medium sized fish in a home made fish
pond. I have two pumps, and plants.

Gets green every spring and cant see the fish until December.

What to do?

Thanks.

We have two ~7000 gallon ponds that flow one into the other with two
active waterfalls (800+GPH circulating pumps), so all of the water in
the pond is circulated through two filters (one on the ingress and one
on the egress) about once every 10 hours. The ponds have Koi, a couple
of turtles and some serious bull frogs.

We get algae blooms (at the waterfall end) around this time of year.

The only thing that works for me is to clean the filter media
(completely remove it and hose it clean thoroughly once a year). This
seems to keep the blooms to a minimum until about this time a year
from now. Algae never is allowed to take over very much of the pond.

I have heard barley straw works (not tried it). I have heard that UV
light filters work (not tried them).