Old 18-03-2007, 08:01 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default junkets

"John Savage" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given writes:
I can buy junket tablets here but then I live in the country. The only
problem is that they are flavoured and I havne't seem the unflavoured ones
for some years now (I haven't looked either though)

Time goes quickly, but have you looked for junket tablets in the last
two years?

I know about how time flys - appallingly fast! However, when I first read
your response, I did a quick mental recap and thought that although I may
just have bought my own junket tabs about 2 years ago (although I thought
this would be a bit of a stretch), I did recently notice them again in the
local supermarket and that was certainly well under 2 years ago. I noticed
them hanging on one of those irritating plastic hanger things that swing off
the columns in the aisle and because it got in my way, I did a quick look to
see if they were flavoured or unflavoured as having been bitten buying the
flavoured ones, I wanted to see if they had unflavoured ones - all flavoured
though.

I ask because the sole manufacturer of Junket Tablets (Chris
Hansons) ceased manufacture in 2005. I'm surprised that another importer
has not stepped into the breach to supply Woolworths and Coles, but none
seems to have. If junket tabs are still on sale at your store, mind
looking and telling me what brand they are?

the flavoured ones as I was fairly sure that they were Hansons. Very
embarrassing experience altogether and I blush as I type this.

In my own defence, I have to say that my pantry is what would these days be
considered to be rather large - it's much bigger than the ensuites in many
houses or motels I've been to, so it can fit rather a lot in the space. I
discovered 2 packs of wild rice I'd forgotten I had, a jar of Asafoetida
(what WAS I going to use that for????), 24 packs of jelly and 4 packs of
plain junket tablets (all Hansons) but no flavoured ones. The plain junket
tabs must be rather (very?)old, but dont' appear to have a useby date on
them. Given that one pack has a price sticker of 97 cents and another has a
price sticker of $1.49 and the other 2 are price sticker free, you can
imagine how old the oldest must be. How long ago did bar scans become the
vogue? I blush!

Anyway, because I thought that the missing flavoured ones had indeed been
Hansons, I did a google and found this:
http://simplyjunket.com.au/news.php
and the picture of the junket that shows at this site is indeed the one I
had bought and found again recently in the small local supermarket so it
seems that Hansons can still be had after all.

Our local supermarket is very customer focussed (they'd want to be given
that for some items I pay up to $2 more for a single can than I would if I
bought in Woollies or Coles). I know that they have got in 2 items for me
especially - Honey soy Sauce and NilOdor and they had never heard of either
of them but made the effort to get them although Lord know how or where.

Anyway, I ramble, I will look for you but I am positive that it was the
exact same product as in the site I found. I'll report back.