Old 18-03-2007, 11:50 PM posted to triangle.gardens
me[_2_] me[_2_] is offline

Default fish pond = cant see 'em cuz the algea

wrote in message
you get the algae for a few reasons

1- too much nitrogen in the water - you need more plants or less
fish
2 - too much sun light - more plants - water lillies in particular
or near by plants to shade
3 - the barley straw works but who wants that - basically this does
a composting type thing and burns up the nitrogen in the water so
the algae dies off.

Put impatients in the water - they will suck up the nitrogen like no
ones business.

What truly eats algae is water daphnae - basically fish babies but
unless your fish are breeding you do not have them and you can not
buy them.

Also a waterfall helps stirs up the oxyegen so it can combine with
the nitrogen - create a bowl in the water fall and put the
impatients in that bowl and they will filter the nitrogen out.

build a deeper pond - the pond is getting too warm as well.

Good suggestions, thank you.

The upper pond is pretty deep. the lower pond is twice the surface
area but shallower. Not much I can do without major reconstruction.

I have a good amount of Water lilies. Impatiens sound like a possible
idea. I will wait until the last frost day and put them in.