Old 20-03-2007, 12:11 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default worms! (book recommendation)

"0tterbot" wrote in message
I really can't understand your antipathy to permaculture Otter, much of
it works well - in fact ost of the ideas that I've tried have.

i'm a pest, aren't i :-(

To each his own. But if you were in my garden, I might feel compelled to
compost you or kill you by pouring boiling water onto your crown :-))

much of my bias stems from badly-written books & the fact that the permies
who used to live here managed to do so many incomprehensible and
badly-thought-out things which i now must undo on my own time.

Well that is enough to make one totally anti I guess.

i am aware that my bias is purely a bias.

Well, perhaps th easiest idea to take from the permie mob is to look at
edges and see how that can benefit you. I hadn't appreciated the lush
growth of edges till I read something about it in a permie doco of some
sort, now I use it all the time.

in fact, my newest digger's catalogue mentions wossisname yeomans.
perhaps their day is coming!!!!!

Perhaps it's just that the regular gardening world is finally beginning
to discover the wider world of agriculture????

i actually think that the mass-soil-improvement idea is one whose time has
come!! so good on cranky clive for mentioning it and spreading the word.
it would go both ways though - agriculturalists could learn a great deal
from good gardeners (not me, obviously ;-)

I think the best of both worlds have been taking from each other for
millenia, the worst of both worlds don't take anything from anywhere
unfortunately.

She's actually very charming. Pity it doesn't come through in 10 second
grabs.

i am clearly insensible to whatever charm she has to offer, so i am more
than happy to agree to disagree :-)

Well if you do ever get a chance to meet her, take it, as you might be in
for a pleasant surprise (but leave your bias at home :-)).