Old 27-03-2003, 01:44 PM
silvasurfa

Default Shade-loving ground cover to supress weeds

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

The actual river bank segment is only about 70 metres long but there are
several little gullies and billabongs that are also infested. I haven't
yet measured the full area but it will be something like 300-400 m long
and 5-10 m wide. As I said it will take years.

Landcare can probably help. As it's a river bank, erosion is also an
issue if you go mad with defoliation... Good luck!

I will indeed be joining the local landcare group. Whether we use
physical removal or spray (or both) will depend on the situation. I
will not be going mad with defoliation unless I can also go mad with
replacement plants.

David

There is a group that raises native plants to be sold cheaply as tubestock
for rehabilitating bushland. Landcare will know if they are operating
locally. Your little stream is likely a tributary of a larger river that
already has an environmental plan happening. You may be able to get some
help through that.

FWIW, sedges are tough as guts, tolerate some shade and there are native
varieties. The warmth and fertility tend to make me think native ferns too.