Old 23-03-2007, 02:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default New pond owner needs help

In article 01dd01c76829$19bd1b40$6401a8c0@jgoverbeck,
"JGOverbeck" wrote:

We bought a house with a pond in central Texas. The pond is about13 feet by
7 feet and about 18 inches deep. We have a bunch of shubunkins - about 30 of
various sizes. My question is how to keep enough oxygen in the water during
the summer where temperatures can be in the 100s for many days. Do I use a
pump, plants or ...? If a pump, what is the best inexpensive solar pump and
how big a pump do I need? Our pond is a good distance from an electrical
outlet and although, using an electric cord is not out of the question, I
think we would prefer a solar pump. Any and all advice is welcomed. We just
want the fish to be happy!

Thanks,

Joanie

Actually, I would spend some time going through posts in this group.
Lots of good information.
As to your solar solution,
Not having any direct experience, I think you'd just need to find one
that can power your pump and store enough power to keep it going at
night and cloudy days. You can always run a line underground through PVC
to an outlet onsite.
This is what I do.