View Single Post
  #10   Report Post  
Old 27-03-2003, 04:20 PM

Default OFF: I don't see why children should have to go to school if they don't want to!

Bwahhaahhhaaaa. There were 6 kids who scored 100% on the SAT exams. 2 were from
Wisconsin, both attend public schools staffed by teachers who are kept above the
poverty level by unions. One of the students attends an inner city school, one a
suburban school.
My husband is asst. chess coach at Bay View High School, also PUBLIC city school,
just took a team of 4 to the national chess championships in Columbus, Ohio. They
competed against religious and private schools from all over the country and they
swept their division, one of them winning the national championship and the 4 winning
the team championship.
The principle has given my husband the funds to develop a biotechnology learning
center and lab at the high school. With a PhD he chooses to teach at an inner city
school for the grand (union negotiated) sum of 35K per year.
At least in Wisconsin public school teachers must have certification. Not so in
private or parochial schools and they dont even check to see if home schooling
parents can read.
Did it ever occur to you that the reason that the US leads the world in science and
industry has something to do with our public school system? In the beginning of the
last century Germany had the highest "book learning" and "rigorous academic system"
standards, they were and still are held up as the "perfect" kind of education system
... and yet, the people of Germany couldnt think their way out of a paper bag. They
either were incapable of critical thinking or so brain washed into the myth of their
own superiority that they chose to follow their leader to commit heinous crimes
against humanity. If ever there was an argument against that kind of learning
system, Germany is it.
Our country is not ethnically pure, not homogeneous and it takes a lot of effort to
bring all the different kids together, to foster understanding, to overcome their
myth ridden and sometimes racist upbringing so they can work together as adults and
continue working on and building a stronger America. We dont hide our handicapped,
we dont hide our mentally retarded, hell we dont even shut up our mentally ill kids
or adults. We arent perfect by a long shot, but diversity has both ying and yang ...
it is difficult to bring all those differences together in schools or in the work
place, but this countrys source of its strength, its creativity, its energy from its
diversity! Ingrid

(Anonymo421) wrote:
Hah! We spend more on education than we ever have--the problem is that the NEA
is a corrupt organization more concerned with political correctness and
protection of incompetant teachers than with meeting the ostensible end of a
public education system. Things would improve if we spent more time on
rigorous academic exercise and less on failed social engineering (this is why
so many foreign kids who have far less funding put into their educational
systems come over here and run circles around so many of our students).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the
endorsements or recommendations I make.