Old 24-03-2007, 05:17 AM posted to aus.family,aus.gardens
FlowerGirl[_2_] FlowerGirl[_2_] is offline

Default X-post: Poisonous plants and childcare

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 04:03:42 GMT, "FlowerGirl"
wrote:

Note: X-posted to aus.family and aus.gardens.

... so our C&K centre has to sign a doc saying that there are no

poisonous
plants on the premises .. and as a botanist (with a very different area

of
specialty) they've turned to me for guidance.

Well.
From what I understand, we just have to sign off that there are no

poisonous
plants on the place....the problem is that there doesn't seem to be an
official list of plants that we can sign off against, ..... and pretty

much
any plant could kill you if you eat the wrong bit, don't prepare it

properly
or you just eat enough of it.

I can tell them to sign off against what's on the Qld Health list of
poisonous plants and fungi (well nearly - there's cestrum growing through
the back fence from the neighbours yard and its a right bugger to get rid
of ), but what about the variegated croton and the Rhoeo which can cause
mild reactions. ....or even the green tomatoes which can contain a

poisonous
substance (saponins)? Not sure about the Strelitzias by the front door
either..... Where does one draw the line?

I guess your easiest option is to contact the Dept of Community/Family
Services (Qld equivalent) and ask them what list they are using. They
are the ones who want the document so they must have a list they want
it checked against. If they are using the Qld Health list then you
can just go with that, if they are using something obscure or "use
your own judgement" then you have a bit more trouble.

Thanks Cheryl - that's probably the department I should contact for the
"legal" list.

The kids planted sweet peas this week and they aren't on the Qld health list
so hopefully that means its all systems go for some sweet smelling flowers
in a little while.

Amanda