Old 24-03-2007, 07:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default New pond owner needs help

In article ,
Stephen Henning wrote:

Kurt wrote:

Same energy as a pump, except you get both in one.
I have a backup aerator in case of failure (I used it for my "fish
motel"), but my fish would last the time it took me to replace the pump.

40 watts in an air pump is huge. 40 watts in a water pump is piddling.
No comparison. Look at it this way, if you want 1% air in the water,
you have to pump 100 gallons of water for every gallon of air. That is
at least 100 times as expensive. If you are already pumping 100 gallons
of water, then that is a different matter. However some people shut
their water pumps off in winter. There is not reason to shut off an air
pump and in fact it will keep the pond fresh with a hole in the ice
cover in winter.

The nice thing about my venturi setup is that I can control both the air
and the water output. I can hut the venturi down to very little output.
100 times expensive sounds huge until you look at real energy costs. All
this, of course, is providing that you use a pump in your pond.