Old 27-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Gary Woods

Default Newspaper seed tubes?

"Charlie" wrote:

Did I see somewhere that you can germinate seeds in little tubes of
newspaper filled with compost?

I don't have links, but basically you roll newspaper strips around a round
form and tuck the ends in the bottom. I've seen a wooden tool for sale to
do this, but people use any small tin or bottle of appropriate size.
It's the same thing as a compressed peat pot*, but cheaper. You need to set
them in a tray that provides some support, because the "pots" will
eventually break down, as they should.
For what it's worth, newspaper printers no longer use toxic ink, so the
papers are just fine for mulching. I use several layers topped with grass
clippings, old leaves, old hay, anything to conceal and keep them from
blowing away. Some would say that this is the best use for many
newspapers.
Some of us are keen on cheap.

*I hope that's what they're called; my English-American dictionary is short
on gardening terms.

Cheers!