Old 26-03-2007, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
[email protected] BarrReport@gmail.com is offline

Default NO3 level and growth of aquatic plant ref: Paul Krombholz 1966

On Mar 25, 6:02 pm, (Richard Sexton) wrote:
In article . com,

wrote:
There are no known detrimental effects on plants at extreme levels(NH4
is quite another matter), fish and the most sensitive will be Amano
shrimps etc.

I used these shrimp in a toxicity study, I found no adversed effects
at 160ppm(the limit of the test method, it was likely higher). No fish
or plant impacts where noted. I used KNO3 to dose, as did Paul.

I slipped a decimal once and dosed at 200 ppm of know instead of 20.

I let it go for 3 weeks to see what would happen. The tips of a couple
of crypts curled a little bit but the 16 ammano shrimp were unaffected.

Richard Sexton | Mercedes stuff:http://mbz.org
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages:http://rs79.vrx.net
633CSi 250SE/C 300SD |http://aquaria.nethttp://killi.net

Well, 3 weeks is a good time frame.
I just did a 3 day acute, but that did not address the fish waste and
other residual NO3, that's just what was added on top of what was
there, added internally.

I know that it was at least 160ppm, my the method did not go beyond
that.
Good old fashion accidents that should cause algae, dead fish etc
occur a lot, but observations etc help a lot and them following them
up.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,