Old 27-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Snooze

Default How many basil seeds per pot?

Basil plants need plenty of room, not just for the leaves to spread out, but
for the roots as well. The first year I planted basil, I put 3-4 seeds in
each pot. By the end of the season, I had pots with roots sticking out of
the drainage hole, and I could lift the entire plant out of the pot, because
the root ball was so tight.

Now I just plant basil in the ground.

"jason molinari" wrote in message
om...
Hey all. I need some help with planting my genovese basil seeds. I
have a long window planter box, i think its about 36" x 6", and also
some 10" pots.
How many seeds can i put in each of these? It says on the package that
they need to be spaced 12" apart, but that only allows me to plant 3
plants in the box and 1 seed in the pot! That seems like very few.
Also these will be grown in the pots permanently, as i dont have a
garden.
They will be lots of sun on my porch.
Also do i need to do anything with the seeds before planting them?

thanks
jason