Old 27-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Polar

Default OFF: I don't see why children should have to go to school if they don't want to!

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:45:23 GMT, "Snooze"
wrote:

"Polar" wrote in message
.. .
Millions of them are still out working at 7 or even younger. Overseas.
Making the goods that you buy so cheaply.

These children are doing the jobs that formerly paid good money to
U.S. workers. Only these children work 10-hour days for terrible pay,
without OSHA-type protection; completely at the mercy of the
exploiters -- sorry, employers -- many of which are U.S. corporations.

That's alright, because now US corporations have figured out how to
outsource call centers (like technical support and customer support) to
countries like the Phillipines and India.

You got that right! I bought my computer from Dell because they had
the best consumer support reputation. Over time, that has eroded.
Now, when you call Support, you're likely to get techs in India.
They may be equally competent (or incompetent!) as U.S. techs,
but they are hard to understand. They are so used to people asking
"what?" that they spell out words not understood.

Apparently it is cheaper for Dell to lease lines to India and pay for
a 3-hour call (that's how long it took me once, and problem was not
solved), rather than pay U.S. techs. Weird!

Even if one asks for a 2nd level tech, Support is not what it was.
I may not buy another Dell.

Consider nations like both China
and India annually graduate more electrical engineers then all of the
graduating engineers, of all kinds, in America.

Draftsmen and architects are outsourced to the Philapines. Much of the
billing and accounting is done abroad too. Thanks to advances in global
communication, it's cheaper to run billing abroad, and send the bill
printing and envelope stuffing machines located domestically.

They used to fly accounting paperwork to Ireland, where they employed
bright, well-educated people for a pittance, and then fly it back next
day.

This may have been superseded by electronic outsourcing.

The next time you call the customer service department for a large company,
ask them where they are located. If they say "out east", like they're
instructed to, get them to nail down which country or state.

Yeah, and then? You won't get any better service.

I am SO sick and tired of punching buttons at the command of a robot!
It's almost a shock when you get a human being. Don't the companies
know how they tick off customers? Or don't they care.
(Don't answer that question! g).

--
Polar