Old 30-03-2007, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Twiggy Pea Sticks

"Melanie" wrote
This is probably a daft question, but ... The advice is to support peas
with "twiggy pea sticks". I have no trees and no suitable shrubs in my
garden to cut any "twiggy pea sticks". Are these things available (cheap)
in the garden centres, or do I have to roam the countryside armed with
secateurs, dodging the twiggy pea stick police and irate landowners?

Our old allotment was surrounded with a hedge that we cut pea stick from but
the new one hasn't. So we now use wire netting and make a fence with stakes
holding the netting up. Works very well and is reusable year after year. You
may be lucky and find someone getting rid of some wire netting, it's how we
gained some lovely 4ft wide plastic coated stuff, enough for two rows.
That said, rabbit fencing would work OK and that's not expensive.
We no longer bother with the tall growing peas after a number of years of
failure with them.

--
Regards
Bob H