Old 04-04-2007, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bob Walsh Bob Walsh is offline

Default Scale control - methods for indoor control?

Bruce,

You could add a little oil and water to the soap/alcohol mix and spray them
with it.

The soap loosens their grip on the plant and lets the alcohol in, the soap
and alcohol are toxic to the bugs, the oil smothers them just in case.

For oil you can use the horticultural oils (or mineral oil I've read),
vegetable or neem oil. Just add a tablespoon of oil per quart of mix.

Spray once a week for 3 or 4 weeks. Takes care of the babys as the sprays
don't kill eggs.

Don't put them back in the sun (if they are in it) right after spraying with
oil. Wait a day or they will burn.

Ratios are not exact. A tablespoon each of oil & soap and a cup of alcohol
to 2 3/4 cups of water should do it. Add the soap last.

If the plants are not all in close proximity to the others you might only
need to treat the infected plant.

Bob

"BruceM" wrote in message
After reading many posts on scale cotrol, it looks Enstar II in
comobination with Orthene WP would be a good way to go, but I am not sure
I would want to use it on my plants kept in the house around pets. I only
have about 30 pots, all kept in the house, and would prefer a less
"nuclear" way to do it.

At the moment I only have one plant that I can defintiely say has scale ,
and it is in bad enough shape I am just going to throw it away.

Anyone have personal experience with using something available in common
box stores (don't throw anything)? I alwasy keep lots of safer
insecticidal soap on hand for my roses and think I may try that and / or a
alcohol spray.