Old 05-04-2007, 12:51 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default worms! (book recommendation)

What have you found mystifying?

innumerable things they have done!
it's nonsensical.

It isn't, but we aren"t going to convince you of that.

it IS! (the previous residents ["permie me, la la la"] , that is, not
necessarily permaculture as a whole). for e.g. they wrote in their farm
report how they located the chooks in the orchard (excellent, no problem
there) but didn't explain why they put the run in a far-off corner equally
distant from two taps but close to neither. (nor why they planted
raspberries & an apple tree IN there with the chickens where the chooks
destroy them, etc). or why they planted all the trees so close (i know some
people are into close planting & that's fine cos i am too, but a hazlenut &
a fig literally a metre apart? i think not!!) i could go on & on. everything
from paths to fences to trees and everything in between has been put in
places i cannot fathom. there's a row of jonquils 100m long in a straight
line. we have had to cut down so many trees in the yard (due to being
located either dangerously, ridiculously, or unable to grow) that it's
disturbing to us. they installed leaky hose in the orchard at great expense
but for nothing, as relatively little (it appears) survived the 2.5-odd
years between them & us when the place was a weekender (& hence mostly
neglected) even though the drought here was not so bad & there's no real
reason things should have died like that had they been well-placed
originally. i would note that the raspberries in teh chook run survived
(until i got more chooks, that is) yet their blueberries etc put in at
(again) great expense & with a great deal of "planning" (cough) didn't. many
fruit trees just didn't. for all the work they did (which was apparently
considerable - soil testing & surveys over the entire property, etc etc)
they haven't left anything anyone would want - it didn't last. only the
misplaced infrastructure has!!

now this is fine, but it behooves a person who's achieved nothing of much
use not to brag about how permie they are when all they've done is made a
mess.

but i reserve most of my rage for the tool who built the house. if i ever
find HIM he's getting a punch in the nose ;-)

and as a final word on the ninnies who've been living chez-moi in the past,
i offer the following: our entire property is on a slope, which is
particularly steep on the west side of the house. nobody in the 20-30 years
of the house's existence has ever, ever thought to put in a trench to stop
water flooding the house every time it rains. as a consequence, the house
flooded literally every time it rained (we found out later). dh spent all of
a couple of hours digging two shallow trenches around the western side &
we've not had a drop come into the house, but we still have termite damage
from the termites that came to eat the rotting wood because nobody in the
past that lived here had enough functioning brain cells to just dig a
****ing trench!!!!!!!!!!!!
/end rant, rests case

I'll bet if Chookie
and I came to your place to do am inspection, we'd find lots of permie
ideas which you said were your own idea and not gained from any permie
doco, they just made sense to you and that's why you did them.

i'd say in a year or two when i've relocated everything you'll be quite
impressed (i hope ;-) but i daresay atm you'd be scratching your head as
hard as i do on a regular basis.

i have read a new book - "back from the brink" by peter andrews. i was very
impressed! have you read it?
kylie