Old 05-04-2007, 11:36 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default this years potato patch

"Jonno" wrote in message
len garden wrote:
g'day friends,

ok bouyed with our success last year, we did the instant spud patch
again, this time with a kilo' each of 'sebago' & 'pontiac' spuds.
nowhere special just in the middle of the front yard.

got the agrlic in a few days after the winter equinox, got more to
plant yet and one has already sprouted.

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/instant_potato_patch.htm

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Gooday Len,
Re garlic planting, winter equinox would be right, but are you talking
oubout autumn equinox which weve just had, the winter (2007) one is still
a few months away.

there is no equinox in winter - it's a solstice :-)

summer & winter solstices = longest day + shortest night/shortest day +
longest night
autumn & spring equinoxes = day & night of equal length at these times.

actually, i suspect there might be a bit more to it than that (path of the
sun & all that), but there's the basics. len must have been talking about
the autumn equinox, because you wouldn't plant garlic during the winter
solstice (afaik!!!!) because it would be too late. unless perhaps you live
in the tropics.(?)

garlic is naturalised at our place (which is quite cool when you think about
it) & it started coming up about a week ago, but if memory serves me right,
there is a LOT more to come up yet. the damn stuff is everywhere. i think it
is getting too cold for my taties now. i have some in feed bags, but i've
just moved them into the greenhouse due to lack of progress outdoors. i will
enjoy len's taties as a consolation prize g
kylie