Old 05-04-2007, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton Richard Sexton is offline

Default Why algae attaches to plants

In article .com,
wrote:
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi...6.1991.00196.x

"An online subscription or single article purchase is required to access this article:

Tease.

From the abstract:

"We hypothesize that the hydrophobic cuticle on actively growing Scirpus culms retards the development of precursors for attachment by periphytic algae. Upon senescence of the culm and loss of epidermal integrity, colonization of culm surfaces by periphytic algae may occur in a manner similar to that on artificial substrata."

I get the impression that algae grew bettter on the non-plant media than on plants
unti the leaves got old but that the difference between old and new leaf algae growth
was not well understood - just a hypothesis at this juncture.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net