Old 09-04-2007, 01:04 AM posted to aus.gardens
Geoff & Heather Geoff & Heather is offline

Default Silverbeet

Funny that - I have grown silverbeet for years without problem - this year I
have had two crops become unusable due to the spotting. It seems to have
coincided with an influx of snails, but the warm humid weather may have been
the catalyst for a fungus attack - I'm off to counter attack with some
copper - has the added bonus of getting rid of the snails as well :-)

Geoff

"leftred" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message

hi all.

i grow a bit of silverbeet and get good crops until............... the
brown spot stars all over the leaves, what is this?

steve

It is a fungus infection. Bunnings can supply you with a remedy, see
below;

SILVER BEET
V E G E TA BE I E

SYMPTOMS

Small spots on leaves; centers sometimes drop out.

SEASON
Warm, moist conditions.

PEST
Leaf Spot

COMMENT
Several fungi; same as beetroot leaf spot; not usually

damaging in home gardens.

Silver beet leaf spot

VS. E GO E TA BE I E
SILVER BEET

SYMPTOMS
Seedlings die; leaves develop spots; roots and stems rot.

SYMPTOMS

Air temperatures higher than 15° CO encourage rotting.

SEASON

PEST
LEAF AND STEM ROT

COMMENT
Fungus; can be seed borne: rotate crops
and fertilise well; avoid over-watering.